New Changes Coming to Youth this Fall…
- In an effort to continue to shape our youth programming to meet the needs of our Hillyer families, some adjustments are being made for the 2016 fall semester. At the end of the 2015-2016 school year, the Youth Committee made the decision to transition away from Hillyer Live (a two hour Sunday night rotation of choir, drama, and handbells). This does not mean we will stop having youth music and drama altogether. Instead, much like the special music for May’s Youth Sunday, practices will be scheduled for ensembles to play special music as needed. The decision was also made to transition away from consistent Snack Supper, instead focusing on special occasion meals. For example, on September 11, Youth Committee will host a kick-off cook out in Fred Fletcher Park from 6:00-7:30pm.
- Beginning September 18, our new youth program schedule will begin at 6:00pm with a 15 minute window of gathering, allowing youth to bring in their own snacks as they hang out with friends.
- At 6:15pm, all youth will go to the Youth Lounge for announcements, music, and camp songs.
- Around 6:30pm, there will be a combined storytelling moment.
- After, youth will break out into three groups and sponsors will take over working through the age-relevant curriculum that relates to the main idea of the story until we end at 7:30pm.
- If you have any questions about the new schedule or if you would like to volunteer to be a youth sponsor, please contact Catherine.
Take Me Out to the Ballgame…
- Reserve your tickets before they are all gone! Saturday, July 30, there will be an All-Church Durham Bulls Outing! We hope you will plan to join us cheer on the Bulls as they take on the Louisville Bats! Tickets are $10 and can be purchased online or through the church office by July 6. The game starts at 6:35 p.m. and your ticket(s) will be located at Will Call. Please contact Catherine if you have any questions.
Vacation Bible School…
- Tuesday, July 5 through Friday, July 8, 2016 from 9:00am to noon Hillyer will host its second year of The Society of St. Andrew’s “Abundance Orchard” curriculum. This Vacation Bible School (VBS) includes daily Bible stories, recreation, music, crafts, snack, and a field trip to a community garden! VBS is open to children age 3-years to those currently in 5th grade. We would also love to work with volunteers who have completed 6th grade and older! (Volunteers ages 18 and older will be asked to submit a Hillyer-sponsored background check). If you have any questions, please contact Susan.
CYF Fall Retreat…
- Can’t wait to get back to camp? Registration for CYF (high school) Fall Retreat is already up and running! Friday, September 23, CYF will travel to Camp Caroline. Registration ends September 7 and the cost is $90 ($75 for RCYW). The church van will leave at 4:00pm on Friday and return by 2:00pm on Sunday, September 25. You may even recognize our keynoter, Tom Gillaspy!
- Regional Youth T-shirt sales have also opened. The same themed t-shirt will be on sale all year long leading up to camp and is only available for purchase online. All t-shirts are on sale for $14.53 and they will be available for pick up at Fall Retreat at Camp Caroline if ordered before September 7.